Concerning the faith and perseverance of his companions
About the true followers of the Mahdi
Undergoing hardships for achieving success
As a result of these sacrifices and the Divine help real Islamic rule will be established
In respect of the intellectual and moral development of the people
During that period the under-privileged masses will be the masters of the power and wealth of the world
Complete Equality Will Be Enforced
A Signed Proclamation from Imam Mahdi (a.s.)
The Signs of the Reappearance of Imam Mahdi (a.s.)
The Messianic Leader, Mahdi, in Other Religions
Imam Mahdi’s (a.s.) Plan after Reappearance
The Concept of Messiah in Islam
21.Quotes of Imam Mahdi (a.s.)
1.92 Traditions from Imam Mahdi
1. I am a remainder from Adam, a relic of Noah, a choice from Abraham and an elite of Mohammad (PBUT). (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.52, P.238)
2. Indeed, right is with us and in us, and nobody else say that but a liar and an impostor. (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.53, P.191)
3. Truly, the Exalted Allah is the one who created all forms and apportioned the provision; because He is not a form nor is He embodied in a form; nothing can be compared with him; and he is the All-hearing All-knowing. (Al-Ghayba, by shaykh al-Toosy P. 178)
4. Verily, Allah is with us and we have no need to other than Him; right is with us so we won't be distressed by those who desist from helping us; we are the willing tools of our Lord and people are our willing tools. (Al-Ghayba, by shaykh al-Toosy P. 172)
5. Knowledge is ours; do not care about the unbeliever's unbelief. (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.53, P.151)
6. If our devotees' (may Allah give them success in obeying Him) hearts are gathered on meeting their obligation, their good fortune of meeting us would not have been delayed, and their joy of seeing us would have been expedited. (Al-Ihtijaj, by al-Tabrasy Ch.2, P.499)
7. I declare-unto Allah and His Messenger-that I am not accountable for whoso claims that we know what is hidden (the divine secret), that we share with Allah His rule, or places us in a rank other than that which Allah approved for us. (Al-Ihtijaj, by al-Tabrasy Ch.2, P.487)
8. The superiority of invocation and glorification of God subsequent to the obligatory prayers, over the invocation subsequent to the supererogatory prayers is like the superiority of the obligatory over the supererogatory prayers. (Al-Ihtijaj, by al-Tabrasy Ch.2, P.487)
9. Nothing spites Satan like performing the prayer, so perform it and spite him! (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.53, P.182)
10. Indeed, I am a safeguard to the inhabitants of earth as the stars are safeguards to the inhabitants of heaven. (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.78, P.380)
11. But Allah's foreordainment could not be struggled with, His will could not be refused and His (granting of) Success could not be preceded. (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.53, P.191)
12. And as for the reason behind the occurrence of the (my) occultation, Allah The Almighty said, " Believers, do not ask questions about things which, if made known to you would only pain you". (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.78, P.380)
13. Indeed, earth could not be without a hujja (a proof, a prophet or his vice), either manifest or occult. (Kamaliddin by al-Sadooq Ch.2, P.115)
14. Whenever an authority disappears, another one appears; and if a star sets, another one rises. (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.53, P.185)
15. O Allah, bestow upon us the success of obedience, the avoidance of disobedience, sincerity and knowledge of the forbidden; and confer upon us guidance and straightness. (Al-Misbah, by al-Kaf`amy P.281)
16. He is cursed (twice) he who delays performing the early morning prayer until the stars disappear (the sun rises). (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.52, P.16)
17. Allah shall provide for his needs he who needs Allah. (Bihar al-Anwar C.51, P.331)
18. Almighty Allah refuses but to perfect the truth and to make falsehood vanish and He is a witness over me in what I am saying. (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.53, P.193)
19. And as for the way of benefiting from me during my occultation, it is the same as benefiting from the sun when it is beclouded; and I am a safeguard to the inhabitants of earth as the stars are safeguards to the inhabitants of heaven. (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.53, P.181)
20. Increase praying for the expediting of my manifestation because indeed it is your release from suffering. (Kamaliddin by al-Sadooq Ch.2, P.485)
21. If you ask for guidance, you shall have it; and if you pursue something, you shall find it. (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.51, P.339)
22. No one is permitted to act independently regarding another's possessions-without his permission. (Wasa`il al-Shi`a Ch.17, P.309)
23. There is no kinship between Allah and anyone; whoso denies me, does not belong to me. (Al-Ghayba, by shaykh al-Toosy P. 176)
24. I seek refuge in Allah from blindness after clearness, from error after guidance and from the mortal sins and the deadly trials. (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.53, P.190)
25. The outcome of Allah's gracious handiwork shall be benign for them as long as they avoid (committing) the prohibited sins. (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.53, P.177)
26. I ask Allah to protect me (from the enemies), to be gracious to me and to bring forth my rule. (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.52, P.183)
27. We are neither negligent of caring for you nor forgetful of you; and if it were not for that, hardship would have befallen you and the enemies would have massacred you, so fear God and support us. (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.53, P.175)
28. And as for the recent occurrences, turn to the relaters of our Hadiths for they are my proof upon you, and I am Allah's proof upon them. (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.53, P.181)
29. If you ask Almighty Allah for forgiveness, He will forgive you. (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.51, P.329)
30. Allah did not create the creation in vain, nor did He leave them alone to no purpose. (Al-Ghayba, by shaykh al-Toosy P. 174)
31. Let everyone of you do what ingratiates him with us and avoid what arises our aversion and displeasure with him. (Al-Ihtijaj, by al-Tabrasy Ch.2, P.324)
32. O Allah, fulfill your promise to me, complete my rule for me, increase my force and fill earth by me with justice and fairness. (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.51, P.31)
33. I bear witness that there is no god but He-and the angels, and men possessed of knowledge- upholding justice; there is no god but He the All-mighty, the All-wise; the true religion with Allah is Islam. (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.51, P.16)
34. I am Allah's Remainder (representative) in His earth, and the avenger on his enemies. (Tafseer Noor al-Thaqalayn Ch.2, P.392)
35. Our hearts are receptacles for Allah's will, so that if He wills we comply. (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.52, P.51)
36. Were it not for our desire to see you righteous and the mercy and pity we feel for you, we would have been too occupied to address you. (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.53, P.179)
37. I am al-Mahdi (the guided one), I am the imam of the time and I am the one who fills it (earth) with justice just as it was filled with injustice and tyranny. (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.52, P.2)
38. The oppressors alleged that Allah's proof is invalid, and if we were permitted to speak out, the uncertainty would disappear. (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.51, P.4)
39. We have comprehensive knowledge of your news, and not a thing of it escapes us. (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.53, P.175)
40. The faith is Muhammad's (his assignment), may Allah's prayers and peace be upon him and his household; and guidance is `Ali's, the Commander of The Believers, may peace be upon him, because it is meant for him and will remain in his descendants until the Day of Resurrection. (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.53, P.160)
41. And whoso oppresses us will be one of those who wrong us, and Allah's curse shall rest upon him because of the Almighty's saying, " Surely, Allah's curse shall rest upon the wrongdoers". (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.53, P.182)
42. All my fathers and I are servants of Almighty Allah. (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.25)
43. The prostration of gratitude is from among the most indispensable and most necessary of the sunna practices (Prophetic Tradition). (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.53, P.161)
44. If Allah permits us to speak, the truth would emerge and falsehood would vanish and be pulled away from you. (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.25, P.183)
45. And in the Prophet's daughter, may Allah's prayers and peace be upon him and his household, there is a good example. (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.53, P.180)
46. And as for the occurrence of the manifestation, it is up to Allah, and those who appoint a moment lie. (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.53, P.181)
47. So fear God and submit to us, refer the matter to us, because we are the ones who execute Allah’s commands as we were the ones who received them; do not try to uncover what was concealed form you and make your intention to love us according to the clear way. (Bihar al-Anwar Ch.53, P.179)
48. No manifestation but after Allah's permission, and that will be after the passing of a long term, the hardening of the hearts and the filling of earth with tyranny. (alehtejaj Ch.2, P.478)
49. There will come to my devotees those who will claim seeing (me). Verily, whosoever claims the seeing before the rising of al-Sofiany and the Cry, is a liar and a forger; and there is no power except with Almighty Allah. (alehtejaj Ch.2, P.478)
50. "I am the Mahdi. I am the Qaem of the time" (Bihar V.52 p.2)
51. "I am the one who will fill it (the earth with justice as it would be full of tyranny". (Bihar, V.52, P.2).
52. "I am the reminder of Allah in His earth". (Bihar, V.52, p 24)
53. "I am the avenger from His enemies". (Bihar, v.52, p.24)
54. "I am the seal of successors". (Bihar, V.52, p.30)
55. And through me shall Allah, the Mighty and Glorious, drive away the calamities from my progeny and my Shia’s". (Bihar, V,52, P.30)
56. "Surely, I am indeed the (cause of) security for the inhabitant of the earth". (Bihar, V 53 p181).
57. "When Allah permits us to speak, truth will prevail and falsehood will vanish". (Bihar, V.53, p 196).
58. "And as for those who fix the time (of re-appearance) they are Iiars". (Bihar, V,53 p.181).
59. "Invoke more for the hastening of the re-appearance, for surely this is your safety". (Bihar).
60. "There were none of my fore fathers except that the allegiance of the oppressive rulers of their times was in their necks". (i.e. the previous Imams were forced to pay allegiance).
61. "As for deriving benefit from me in my occultation is like deriving benefit from the sun when it hides behind the clouds". (Bihar, V.53, p 181).
62. "And surely on my re-appearance, whenever I reappear, there will be no allegiance in my neck of any of the oppressive tyrants". (Bihar. V,53, p 181)
63. "If any incident occurs (now) then refer for it to the narrators of our traditions. For surely, they are my proof on you and I am the proof of Allah upon them". (Bihar, V. 53, p 181).
64. "For surely our knowledge encompasses information about you and none of your news is concealed from us". (Bihar, V. 53, p 175)
65. "Surely, we do not neglect your conditions nor are we forgetful of your remembrance". (Bihar, V. 53, p 175).
66. "Then each one of you should do those deeds which bring you closer to our love". (Bihar, V. 53, p 176).
67. "And you must refrain from (all such acts) which make you nearer to our displeasure and our anger". (Bihar 53/176).
68. "Then nothing keeps us away from them except that they attach to us what we dislike". (Bihar. 53/177).
69. "As for your wealth, we shall not accept it except that it should be purified (halaal). Then whoever wants, he can associate (with us) and whoever wants, he can sever". (Bihar, V 53 p 180).
70. "Whoever eats from our wealth (i.e. Khums) even an iota then he is taking fire in his abdomen and soon shall he be castled in it". (Bihar V.53, p 183).
71. "Allah’s, the Mighty and the Glorious, Destinies are not overpowered, and His intentions are not rejected, and His Grace is not left behind". (Bihar 53/191).
72. "Seeking knowledge through any other means than us Ahle’Bait, tantamount to denial (in our mastership)". (Kitab Deen-o-Fitrat: Vol – 1)".
73. "Surely Allah the Almighty, did not create the creatures in vain and did not provide them freedom without reason". (Bihar V 53/194).
74. "(Allah) sent Mohammad (s.a.w.s) as a mercy unto the worlds and completed his bounties. Through him". (Bihar ,53/194).
75. "And He sealed through him (Mohammad S.A) His prophets and sent him to the whole of mankind". (Bihar 53/194).
76. "Surely, the earth can never be void of a divine proof, whether, he is seen or hidden". (Bihar 53/91).
79. "Allah, Mighty and Glorious be He, has denied the truth any thing except perfection and falsehood except destruction". (Bihar, 53/193).
80. "Certainly there is no (physical) relationship between Allah, Mighty and Glorious be He and any body else". (Bihar 53/180)
81. "Nothing is better than namaz to make shaitan bite the dust, then perform namaz and make Shaitan bite the dust". (Bihar 53/182).
82. "The thanks giving prostration is amongst the most necessary and obligatory Sunnah". (Bihar 53 – 161).
83. "I seek refuge in Allah from blindness after vision". (Bihar 53/191).
84. "And from staying off after guidance". (53/191).
85. "And from the destructive acts and demolishing instigations". (Bihar 53/191)
86. "If you seek guidance you will be guided and if you search, you will find (the path)". (Kamaluddin Vol 2. P 502).
87. "Then do not ask questions which do not hold any meaning for you". (Bihar,V53 p181).
88. "And do not put yourself into (unnecessary) trouble in gaining knowledge in which you have sufficed yourself". (Bihar 53/181).
89. "Surely the truth is with us and in us and non can say like this except us. And if any one says then he is a liar a deceiver. None claims thus other than us except a strayed and lost one.
90. "Our hearts are the vessels of Allah’s intentions". Then whenever He is pleased, We are pleased". (Bihar V. 52/ p 51).
91. "If our Shias (May Allah give them opportunity of obedience) would be firm on their promises wholeheartedly, our meeting would not be delayed".
2. Imam (a.t.f.s)’s address to his Shia’s:
92. "Then everyone of you shall act in a manner which makes him nearer to our love and refrain from those acts which makes him proximate to our dislike and our anger. For surely, our affair (re-appearance) will be sudden and unexpected when neither repentance shall benefit him nor shall remorse from sins save him from our chastisement". "Nothing shall keep us away from the (Shias) except their news to us of those things which we dislike and do not expect from them. And Allah is the Helper.
3. Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.s.) In Ahadith (By Muhammad Hadi Ma'arefat)
The Views of Muhyi-ad Din Ibn Arabi on the Infallibility of Imam Mahdi (AS): Ibn Arabi in his works "Futuhat Al-Makkiya" (The Meccan Revelations) says: "Mahdi (a.s.), during his time is the sign of Allah for the people of the world. His position is like that of the Prophets' (Peace Be Upon Them) which is sometimes also possible for others to share."
In the Glorious Qur'an, Allah tells His Prophet (s.a.): "Say, `this is my path. With sure knowledge, I call on you to have faith in Allah, I and my followers." (12:108) Mahdi (AS) is a follower of the Messenger. Therefore, just as the Messenger's invitation (to Islam) is free from any doubts and errors, the one who follows him is free from errors too. Rather, he treads the same path. Thus the Prophet (s.a.) has said in this regard: "He treads on my path and is free from error."
And this is the same position of infallibility inviting towards the way of Allah.... (Ibn Arabi, "Futuhat Al-Makiyya" - vol. 3, p. 332) Elsewhere in the same book, he writes: "The very being of Mahdi (AS) is Mercy, just as the being of the Prophet (SAW) was Mercy." In the Qur'an, Allah says: "We have not sent you forth but as a Mercy to mankind." (21:107) Ibn Arabi further states: "Except for Mahdi (AS), the Prophet (SAW) has not said so explicitly for any of the other Imams as he has said of Mahdi (AS) that would come after him and would continue his mission and would do so impeccably." This proves that in stating the Divine decrees, Mahdi (AS) is infallible. And of course sound reasoning (based on various historical and metaphysical proofs) testifies that the Prophet (SAW) of Allah was infallible in conveying this message." (Ibid., pp. 337-338)
In his book "Kamal ad-Din wa Tamam an-Ne'ma" - Sheikh Saduq quotes Imam Muhammad Baqir (AS) as saying: "The knowledge of Allah's Book and Prophet's (SAW) Tradition has blossomed in the heart of our Mahdi (AS) like a perfect plant. Should anyone of you meet him, tell him "Greetings on you, the household of Mercy and Prophethood and the Fountain of Knowledge and Heir to the Messenger of Truth." (Kamal al-Din wa Tamam al-Ne'mah, vol. 2, p. 653)
Those who are critics of the ideology of Al-Mahdi (AS), the Awaited One, mainly raise two questions: a) How can it be possible for any man to live so long? b) How can a child who has not yet reached maturity attain to the position of Imamate? That this long a span of life is not in the least impossible. Very often we come across ordinary people who have very long life spans. Even regarding Prophet Noah (PBUH), the Qur'an says: "We sent forth Noah to his people, and he dwelt amongst them for one thousand years, less fifty." (29:14)
Even today science agrees that if a human being lives far off from the pressures and stress of the hustle bustle of a hectic city life, it would be possible for him to live a long and healthy life for hundreds of years without any anxieties and illness. According to medical and social scientists, the automated and mechanized life of today's electronic age, limits the physical activities of human beings and is thus responsible for shortening his span of life. (Al-Najjar Abdul Wahhab, "Qisas al-Anbiyya, p. 98) Physicians believe that untimely deaths of people in advanced societies are due to abnormal diseases that afflict them.
Thus, if an individual takes good care and gives due attention to his health, it would be quite possible for him to live a reality life for centuries. Wouldn't this especially be possible for great and noble human beings who are completely under the protection of the Almighty Allah? Allah states in the Qur'an regarding Prophet Yunus (p.b.u.h.): "A whale swallowed him, for he had some amiss; and had he not devoutly praised Allah, he would have stayed in its belly till the Day of Resurrection. We threw him gravely ill upon a desolate shore and caused a gourd tree to grow over him. Thus, we sent him to a hundred thousand strong or more. They believed in him and we let them live in ease awhile." (37:142-148)
Regarding Prophet Isa (p.b.u.h.) Allah says: "Those that disagreed about him were in doubt concerning him, for what they knew about it was a sheer conjecture; they didn't kill him for certain. Allah lifted him up to Him; He is Mighty, Wise. There is none among the People of the Book but will believe in him before his death; and on the Day of Resurrection he will be a witness against them." (4:158-159) The above-mentioned verses prove that death has not yet overtaken Prophet Isa (PBUH) and that his death will take place after descending from the heavens at the time of the re-appearance of Mahdi (AS), the promised.
The Prophet (s.a.) has been quoted as saying: "Isa (p.b.u.h.) the Son of Mary is not dead. Rather, before the Day of Resurrection, he will come back to you." The late Allama Tabarsi says that the Prophet (s.a.) has been quoted as saying: "How will it be when Isa, Son of Mary descends among you, when your Imam Mahdi (a.s.) has risen from among you." (Al-Bukhari, Isma'il ibn Ibrahim, Sahih Al-Bukhari, vol. 4, p. 205. Abul-Hussain, Muslim ibn Al-Hajjaj, Sahih Al-Muslim, vol. 1, p. 94) Coming to the second question regarding the validity of an underage Imam. We must say that when this same thing has been possible for many great Prophets (Peace Be Upon Them). Why would it not be possible for Imam Mahdi (a.s.)?
Allah says in the Qur'an regarding Prophet John (p.b.u.h.): "O Yahya, hold fast to the Book. We bestowed on him wisdom while he was a child." (19:12) Similarly it is recorded thus in the Qur'an regarding Prophet Isa (p.b.u.h.): "She pointed to him. But they replied, `How can we speak with a baby in the cradle?' (Whereupon) he said: `I am the servant of Allah, He has given me the Book and made me a Prophet. He made me blessed wherever I go and He has commanded me to be steadfast in prayer and to give alms to the poor as long as I shall live." (19:29-30)
Many traditions from the Prophet (s.a.) regarding the importance of the need for existence of Imam Mahdi (a.s.) as well as knowledge regarding him have been quoted by great Sunni scholars. Some of these are as follows: -- "Anyone who dies without knowing his Imam-e Zaman has died in ignorance." -- "Anyone who dies and has not declared faith in an Imam, dies ignorant." (Ibn Hanbal Ahmad, Masnad-e-Ahmad, vol. 3, p. 446 and vol. 4, p. 96; Sahih al-Muslim, vol. 4, pp. 21-22; Abu Bakr Al-Bayhaqi Al-Sunan Al-Kubra, vol. 8, p. 156; Ibn Kathir, Tafsir al-Qur'an al-Azeem, vol. 1, p. 517; Allamah Amini, Al-Ghadeer, vol. 10, p. 359. Many such traditions have been quoted often by Sunni scholars. Therefore, it could be considered incumbent on every good Muslim to follow his Imam-e Zaman, albeit an infallible Imam, who is free from errors and misjudgment. Especially so since an Imam is an exemplar of the highest virtues and thus it would not be appropriate for him to be afflicted by errors and imperfections.
4. The Need for Intercession in Seeking Divine Grace
A very important issue to refer to here is the need for intercession in seeking Divine Grace. We read in the Qur'an: "O you who believe! Have fear of Allah and seek the means by which you get His favor." (5:35) Elsewhere the Qur'an says: "Those to whom they pray themselves seek to approach their Lord." (17:57) Sheikh Saduq quotes Sulaiman ibn Ja'afar as saying: "I asked Imam Reza (AS). Will the earth ever be devoid of a sign of God?" The Imam replied: "Even if that were to happen for as long as the blinking of an eye, the earth would cave in with all its inhabitants." (Sheikh Saduq, "Uyun-e-Akbar al-Reza", pp. 150-151) Elsewhere he quotes Imam Baqir (AS), saying: "If the earth would be devoid of an Imam from our Household for even a single day, it would swallow in all its inhabitants. And Allah would afflict the dwellers of the earth with a severe punishment. The Lord Almighty has appointed us as this sign and for the safety of the dwellers of the earth. As long as we live among them, those who would otherwise be swallowed into the earth are in safety." (Sheikh Saduq, Kamal ad-Din wa Tamam an-Ne'ma, pp. 150-151) Thus, in the same way that these Imams are intercessors for the True Religion, they are also the intercessors for Grace and Earthly and Heavenly abundance for mankind.
5. Final Victory of Islam is Very Near
Islam interprets history as a constant struggle between right and. wrong. This struggle goes on at various levels of society between the forces of right, virtuousness, love of Allah, faith, justice, equality, sacrifice, correct thinking, purity and truth on the one hand, and those of falsehood, egoism, materialism, pragmatism, tyranny, selfishness, injustice, faithlessness, discrimination, corruption, infringement of others rights and wretchedness on the other. The real source of the struggle between right and wrong exists within man himself. (vide Surah al-Shams 91:7) It is manifested sometimes in the form of the flames of selfishness, venality and licentiousness and sometimes in that of higher sentiments of God-seeking, righteousness and love of mankind.
The impact of these sentiments on society creates power waves which cause a strife sometimes culminating in corruption and wretchedness, and sometimes bringing about changes towards happiness and prosperity of the society. There is no doubt that changes for the better are brought about by Divine help, but the role of human effort and struggle cannot also be denied.
A Prophet is raised. He awakens the hearts potentially ready to accept the truth. Faith of a group of converts matures. They along with him fight against corruption and evil. They continue to make gradual progress and do not falter at any stage till at last the society undergoes a basic change.
Polytheism, myths, injustice and corruption collapse. Belief in Allah, truth and justice takes root. Before long again from within the same society selfishness, licentiousness and aristocratic tendencies shoot forth.
Occasionally the same society, though still maintaining the traditional form, so deviates from the way introduced by the reformer that it begins to rot from within and once again returns to its pre-reform ways, of course, in a new garb of hypocrisy and new forms of injustice. and corruption.
Sometimes external factors with the aid of their internal agents effectively work for spreading corruption and disruption. These agents for their selfish ends readily co-operate with the external enemy. This state of injustice, corruption, myth and fraud stimulates the sagacious and the downtrodden to launch a new movement. Thus a process of struggle between right and wrong continues.
Islam believes that all pomp, show and power of the evil have been transient over history. It regards all kinds of intrigues, frauds, hypocrisy and falsehood as froth of water. They have no roots and are bound to disappear finally. (Surah al-Ra'ad, 13:17, Surah al-Isra, 17:81, Surah al-Anbiya, 21:18, Surah al-Shura, 42:24 and many other verses).
Truth always maintains its positive effect either in individual action or social movement even when it is threatened by falsehood and needs supporters to defend it. Islam recognizes the need of human efforts, perseverance and faith in bringing about a social change, and regards weakness, lack of faith and licentiousness as the causes of the domination of falsehood.
Anyhow, it is this struggle which makes history. As for the future, it is bright. In the end right will be victorious and justice will prevail. Every form of wrong will be annihilated and oppression and tyranny will disappear finally.
6. Advent of the Mahdi Complete and final supremacy of right, and universal victory of justice will materialize during the period of the appearance of Muhammad al Mahdi ? the twelfth imam. At that time an ideal Islamic society will be established under the aegis of an ideal government. In the following pages we give a short perspective of the society and the system of that time drawn from hundreds of traditions describing the characteristics of that period. It must be remembered that this society will be a true Islamic society and its system will be in no way different from that prescribed by Islam.
We propose to divide this study under several headings:
7. At the threshold of appearance The holy Prophet is reported to have said: "He will rise at a time when chaos will be prevailing in the world. Various countries will be engaged in the night attacks on each other. Neither the elders will be having mercy on the younger, nor will the strong be showing kindness to the weak". Imam Muhammad al Baqir (A.S.) has said: "The Mahdi will rise at a time of great anxiety, when people will be deeply plunged into crises, disturbances, disasters and diseases, and when wild massacres, violent dissensions and religious discord will be the order of the day. At that time people will be feeling distressed and dejected, and will be at daggers drawn with each other. They will be wishing themselves dead day and night. He will appear at a moment of utter want of hope". "He will rise to establish justice at a time when the world will be full of injustice and tyranny". There is no doubt that he will rise at a time when the whole world will be plunged into injustice and corruption, and to fight against these evils he will have to make awful struggle. He will require faithful and self?sacrificing supporters, possessing all the qualities of a true champion.
8. Revolutionary leader and his supporters The Holy Prophet(S.A.W.) is reported to have described the Imam of the Age in these words: "He is an Imam who is pious, pure and delightful. He is an admirable leader, who is rightly guided and who enjoins justice. Allah acknowledges him and he acknowledges Allah".
9. Concerning the faith and perseverance of his companions
Imam Ja'far al Sadiq (A.S.) said: "Everyone of his companions will be so strong as if he had the strength of forty men. Their hearts will be as solid as a piece of steel. If they pass over a hill of iron, they would pierce it. They will not lay down their arms till they have pleased Allah". From another report we learn that at that time there will be some people who will be faithful, virtuous, sincere, religious, pious, conscientious, tolerant, firm, constant, temperate and God-loving. They will be thankful to Allah who made them heirs to power and wealth in the earth and established their chosen faith therein. They will be worshipping none but Allah, offering their prayers on time and paying zakat when due. They will be exhorting to good and restraining from evil".
10. About the true followers of the Mahdi
Imam Ja'far al Sadiq (A.S.) is reported to have said: "Fear has been removed from their hearts and put into that of their enemy. Everyone of them is more rushing than a spear-point and more daring than a lion".
11. Undergoing hardships for achieving success It must be understood that success will not be gained easily. It will be achieved only after undergoing a lot of trouble and discomfort. Mufazzal, one of the companions of Imam Ja'far al Sadiq (a.s.) says: "Once we were talking about the Mahdi in the presence of the Imam. I said that I hoped that he would succeed easily. The Imam said: "No, it will not be so. Success will not be attained except through sweat and blood". In other words success will be attained after making great efforts and undergoing heavy losses. A companion of Imam Muhammad al Baqir (A.S.) says: "I told the Imam that it was said that the Mahdi would have a smooth sailing and would not have to shed a single drop of blood". The Imam said: "No, it will not be so. If the things could run so smoothly, by Him in whose hands my life is, the Prophet of Islam would not have been wounded and his teeth would not have been broken in a battle. No, that's not possible. By Allah! there is no way out, but that you and we are submerged in our own sweat and blood". This means that the leaders as well as their supporters have to make sacrifices before they are successful. Imam Ja'far al Sadiq (A.S.) is also reported to have said: "I see the Mahdi and his companions as if they are threatened by danger from all sides: their supplies have exhausted; their clothes have worn out; their foreheads bear the mark of prostration; during the day they are as courageous as a lion and during the night they are busy in the adoration of Allah; and their hearts are like solid pieces of iron". Anyhow, all these sacrifices and hardships will have a happy end. Imam Ja'far al Sadiq (A.S.) has said: "It is true that the righteous always lead a hard life. But the end of their hardship is not far off". Nevertheless the success of the Mahdi will be largely due to invisible Divine help. Many traditions bear witness to that.
12. As a result of these sacrifices and the Divine help real Islamic rule will be established
These are some of the reports which throw light on the doctrinal and social system which will follow. Explaining the Qur'anic verse, It is Allah who sent His Messenger with guidance and true religion that He might make it victorious over all religions, howsoever the unbelievers might be averse, Imam al Sadiq (A.S.) said: "This verse will come true only during the time of the Mahdi, when the unbelievers will no longer exist". At present Islam has been surrounded by some people with so many myths and doubts that it appears to be some different religion. This position will continue till the Mahdi rises. Imam Ja'far al Sadiq (A.S.) has said: "As soon as the Mahdi rises, he will introduce a new system as the Prophet had done in the beginning of Islam". Imam Ja'far al Sadiq (A.S.) is also reported to have said: "The Mahdi will do what the holy Prophet had done. He will smash the existing system in the same way as the holy Prophet had shattered the pre-Islamic pagan system, and replaced it by Islam". The new system introduced by the Mahdi will be so queer to some of those who claim to be the champions of religion and to be having full knowledge of it, that they will pick up a row against him, but they will not be able to resist the divine world movement and will be annihilated. At the end of a detailed talk, Imam Baqir (A.S.) said: "On an occasion when the Mahdi will be busy narrating Divine commands and speaking about the practice of the holy Prophet and the Imams, an attack on him will be arranged from within the places of worship. The Imam will order his followers to arrest the insurgents and put them to death. This will be the last hostile action against the Mahdi".
When the evil-doers will have been crushed and the correct Islamic attitude popularised, the atmosphere will become conducive to intellectual growth and expansion of knowledge. Imam Ali (A.S.) is reported to have said: "I see a large number of tents pitched, and people under them being taught the Qur'an in the same order in which it was revealed". In the course of a talk about that period Imam Muhammad al Baqir (A.S.) said: "Knowledge will become so common that even women will give decisions on the basis of the Qur'an and the Sunnah of the holy Prophet". Knowledge in various fields will expand. The total of the discoveries of the past will bear no comparison to the discoveries made during that period. According to a report, Imam Ja'far al Sadiq (a.s.) explained the position allegorically. He said: "If the total of possible human knowledge is supposed to be seventy two letters, two letters will have been known up to that time and the remaining seventy will be discovered gradually during that period".
13. In respect of the intellectual and moral development of the people
Imam Muhammad al Baqir (A.S.) has said: "When our Qaim will rise and the people will come under his protection, their intellectual faculties will bloom and their human qualities will be perfected and will bear fruit".
14. During that period the under-privileged masses will be the masters of the power and wealth of the world
Many reports say that the following verse relates to that period: "We willed to show favor to those who were persecuted in the land and make them rulers and heirs of the land, and give them power and wealth of the earth ". (Surah al-Qasas, 28:5). Thus the power and authority of the tyrants and the self-seekers will come to an end and justice will be restored everywhere under a new system. "He will fill the earth with justice after it had been filled with injustice and tyranny". "The Qaim will enjoin justice. During his time injustice will be done away with. Roads will be safe. Rights will be restored".
15. Complete Equality Will Be Enforced Imam Muhammad al Baqir (A.S.) said: "Immediately on his appearance the Qaim will distribute wealth equally, and will restore the rights of the masses". When the right job will be entrusted to the right man and all-round justice will prevail, naturally the whole world will prosper in every respect. "Blessings will pour forth from the heaven on the earth. The land will put out its best produce. Trees will bear copious fruit. The atmosphere on the earth will be verdant and fragrant". It is also evident that in such an atmosphere minerals and natural resources should be exploited to the maximum extent. Reports say: "Allah will reveal for him the treasures of the earth ". At last all the natural forces will be controlled by the people and they will have all the means to use them to their own advantage. Gradually there will be so much wealth that no one will be left poor or needy. "Double salaries will be paid to the workers. Equality will be observed among all the people. There will be no one eligible to receive zakat. Money will be offered to the people, but they will decline to accept it, because they will not be requiring it. All underground and above-ground natural resources will be at the disposal of the imam. Addressing the people he will say: "This is the wealth for which you were fighting, severing relations with your kith and kin and shedding the blood of each other". Then he will give them money in unprecedented quantities". In such circumstances there will prevail complete peace and law and order. "At that time complete peace will prevail all over the world. None will harm anyone. Fear and anxiety will not exist. Even the wild animals will be moving among the people, but will not be harming anyone. People will have love and sympathy for each other. They will equally distribute wealth among themselves. There will no longer exist any poor or needy. No group of people will seek to dominate another group. The elders will show kindness to the youngers and the youngers will respect the elders. All people will be conscientious in their actions and decisions". Love, kindness, righteousness and brotherhood will prevail. There will be no question of deceiving or ill-treating anybody; complete sincerity and cordiality will exist. "When the Qaim will rise, such genial sincerity and cordiality will come into being that one will take out whatever one requires from the pocket of another person and that person will not mind it at all". Every kind of weakness, disease and disability will disappear. "As regards those who will be living during the time of the Qaim, their sick will recover and their weak will gain strength". "All the blind and the crippled will be cured and the sufferers will be relieved of their suffering". "A world government characterised by justice and righteousness will be established. It will extend from the East to the West. All people will live under it in an atmosphere of peace, justice and prosperity". "Cordial relations will exist among the believers all over the world. It will appear as if from one end of the world to the other they see each other, speak to each other and co-operate with each other". These relations will be different from the present day relations and peace agreements, which are concluded only to safeguard the interests of the powers concerned and have no stability. All such agreements will be annulled with the appearance of the Qaim and will be replaced by an all-pervasive just system". At that time there will be no question of hypocrisy, intrigue, mere show of courtesy or any under-hand method. Everybody will have to submit earnestly to the rightful government. All defaulters will be annihilated. This government marked, with the final and complete restoration of justice and all-round development, will be the last stage of human history. The Divine Government will be established after the failure of all other systems to achieve the desired results. Though it will be of limited duration, it will be the last word in justice and righteousness. It will be the end of history.
16. A Signed Proclamation from Imam Mahdi (a.s.)
Though at present we are living away from the dominions of the oppressors and till the unjust rule the world, the Almighty has considered it better for us and our Shias that I stay away from them. But despite this separation, I am cognizant of all your affairs. Nothing pertaining to you is hidden from us. Whenever you experience insults, I come to know of it. This is from the time some of you began to do those acts which were shunned by your ancestors. These people have thrown behind their covenant with Allah as if it had never been made. We are never negligent in your protection nor are we forgetful of your remembrance. (If our protection and guidance had not been there) misfortunes would have befallen you and the enemies would have destroyed you. Be fearful of Allah and help us (our cause) which will save you from the corruption that has surrounded you. Soon, clear signs from the heavens will be manifested for you and signs will appear on the earth as well. Disastrous and sorrowful incidents will occur in the east. Thereafter, Iraq will be ruled by people who are completely away from Islam. Due to their vile deeds, the people of Iraq will experience an acute shortage of sustenance. Then after a long time, when the tyrannical rulers perish, the people of Iraq will be rescued from their difficulties. After the annihilation of the tyrants, the pious and the good people shall rejoice. People from every corner of the world who go to perform Hajj (the annual pilgrimage) will achieve all their desires and get whatever they wish. As per their wishes, their Hajj will be made easy through our worth and position. It will be manifested in our systematic manner. Thus each of you should perform such deeds that bring you closer to our love and avoid those acts which result in our anger and dissatisfaction. For, our reappearance will be sudden and unexpected when repentance will be of no use nor shall remorse for sinful deeds (at that time) save you from our punishment. May Allah show you the path of true guidance and by His Mercy bestow you the means of Divine Grace (Tawfeeq). [Tawqee of Hazrat Vali-e-Asr (a.t.f.s.) addressed to the respected Shaykh al-Mufeed (ra-)]
17. The Signs of the Reappearance of Imam Mahdi (a.s.)
The Signs of the Reappearance (Qiyam) of the (Imam) who undertakes the Office (Al-Qa'im), Peace be on him, the Period of Time of his Appearance, an Explanation of his Life and an Extract of what is revealed about his State. Traditions have been reported mentioning the signs for the time of the appearance of the Imam who will arise (qa'im), peace be on him, and the events which will take place before his appearance, together with the indications and features of it. Among them are: "The Sufaini will come out in revolt; the Hassani will be killed; the 'Abbasids will dispute over worldly kingdom; there will be an eclipse of the sun in the middle of the month of Ramadan; there will be an eclipse of the moon at the end of that month in contrast to ordinary happenings; the land will be swallowed up at al-Bayda'; it will be swallowed in the east; it will be swallowed up in the west; the sun will stay still from the time of its decline to the middle of the time for the afternoon prayer; it will rise from the west; a pure soul (Nafs zakiyya) will be killed in the outskirts of Kufa with seventy righteous men; a Hishimite will be slaughtered between the corner of the Ka'bah, and the station of Prophet Abraham; the wall of the mosque of Kufa will be destroyed; black standards will advance from Khurassan; al-Yamani will come out in revolt; al-Maghribi will appear in Egypt and take possession of it from Syria; the Turk will occupy the region of al-Jazira; the Byzantines will occupy Ramala; the star will appear in the east giving light just like the moon gives light; then (the new moon) will bend until its two tips almost meet; a colour will appear in the sky and spread to its horizons; a fire will appear for a long time in the east remaining in the air for three or seven days; the Arabs will throw off the reins and take possession of their land, throwing out the foreign authority; the people of Egypt will kill their ruler and destroy Syria; and three standards will dispute over it (Syria); the standards of Qays and the Arabs will come among the people of Egypt; the standards of Kinda (will go) to Khurasan; horses will come from the west until they are stabled in al-Hira; the black standards will advance towards them from the east; the Euphrates will flood so that the water comes into the alleys of Kufa; sixty liars will come forward, all of them claiming prophethood, and twelve will come forward from the family of Abu Talib, all of them claiming the Imamate; a man of important rank of the supporters of the `Abbasids will be burnt between Jalula` and Khaniqin; the bridge next to Karkhin the city of Baghdad will be established; a black wind will raise it at the beginning of the day and then an earthquake will occur so that much of it will be swallowed up; fear will cover the people of Iraq and Baghdad; swift death (will occur) there and there will be a loss of property, lives and harvests; locusts will appear at their usual times and at times not usual so that they attack agricultural land and crops and there will be little harvest for what the people planted; two kinds of foreigners will dispute and much blood will be shed in their quarrel; slaves will rebel against obedience to their masters and kill their masters (mawali); a group of heretics (ahl al-bida) will be transformed until they become monkeys and pigs; slaves will conquer the land of their masters; a cry (will come) from the sky (in such a way) that all the people will hear it in their own languages; a face and a chest will appear in the sky before the people in the centre of the sun; the dead will arise from their graves' so that they will return to the world and they will recognize one another and visit one another; that will come to an end with twenty four continous rainstorms and the land will be revived by them after being dead anll it will recognize its blessings; after that every disease will be taken away from those of the Shi`a of the Mahdi, peace be on him, who believe in the truth; at that time they will know of his appearance in Mecca and they will go to him to support him." (These signs) are as the reports have mentioned. Among the total of these events are some which are bound (to happen) and other which are conditional. God knows best what will take place. We have only mentioned them on the basis of what is recounted in basic sources of tradition because of their inclusion in traditions which have been handed down. From God we seek help and Him do we ask for success. Abu al-Hasan Ali b. Bilil al-Muhallabi informed me: Muhammad b. Ja'far al-Mu'addib told me on the authority of Ahmad b. Idris, on the authority of `All b. Muhammad b. Qutayba, on the authority of al-Fadl b. Shidhan, on the authority of Ismail b. al-Sabbih, who said: I heard an old man among our colleagues mention on the authority of Sayf b. Umayra, who said: I [Sayf b. Umayra] was with Abu Ja'far al-Mansur and he said to me of his own accord: "There will certainly be a voice calling from the sky the name of a man from the descendants of Abu Talib." "May I be your ransom, Commander of the faithful," I said, "do you relate that?" "Indeed, by Him in Whose hands is my life," he replied, "because my own ears have heard it." "Commander of the faithful," I said, "this tradition which you have heard is before my time." "Sayf, it is the truth," he told me. "When it happens, we will be the first to answer it. Indeed the call will be for a man from the descendants of our uncle." "A man from the descendants of Fatima, peace be on her?" I asked. "Yes," he replied. "Sayf, if it was not for the fact that I have heard from Abu Ja`far Muhammad b. 'Ali (al-Baqir), who told me about it, even though all the people of the earth have told me about it, I would not accept it from them. However it was Muhammad b. `Ali (al-Baqir), peace be on them, (who told me)." Yahya b. Abi Talib reported on the authority of Ali b. Asim, on the authority of Ata' b. al-Sa'ib, on the authority of his father on the authority of Abd Allah b. Umar, who said: The Apostle of God, may God bless him and his family, said: "The hour (of the end of the world) will not arise until the Mahdf from my descendants comes forth. The Mahdi will not come forth until sixty liars come forward, all of them declaring: "I am a prophet." al-Fadl b. Shadhan reported on the authority of one who reported it on the authority of Abu Hamza al-Thumali, who said: I (i.e. Abu Hamza al-Thumali) asked Abu Ja`far (Imam al-Baqir), peace be on him: "Is the revolt of the Sufyani one of the things which must happen?" "Yes," he replied. "The call is one of the things which must happen as is the rising of the sun from the west one of the things which must happen. The dispute of the `Abbasids over the state is also one of them and the killing of the pure soul (al-nafs al-zakiyya). The appearance of the one who will arise (al-qa'im) from the family of Muhammad, may God bless him and his family, is another of the things which must happen." "How will the call be?" I asked. "There will be a call from the sky at the beginning of the day indeed the truth is with `Ali and his Shi'a," he said. "Then at the end of the day, Satan will call from the earth - indeed the truth is with 'Uthman and his supporters. At that the false one will feel doubt." Al-Hasan b. Ali al-Washsha' (reported) on the authority of Ahmad b. A'idh, on the authority of Abu Khadija, on the authority of Abu Abd Allah (Imam Jafar al-Sadiq, peace be on him): Imam Ja'far al-Sadiq said: "The one who will arise (al-qa'im) will not come forth until twelve of the Banu Hashim come forth before him, all of them summoning men to themselves." Muhammad b. Abi al-Bilad (reported) on the authority of `All b. Muhammad al-Azdi, on the authority of his father, on the authority of his grandfather, who said: The Commander of the faithful, Imam Ali, peace be on him, said: "Before the one who will arise (al-qa'im), there will be red death and white death; there will be locusts at their usual time and at their unusual time like the colours of blood. As for red death that is (from) the sword,while white death is (from) plague." Al-Hasan b. Mahblib (reported) on the authority of Amr b. Abi Miqdam, on the authority of Jabir al-Ju`fi, on the authority of Abu Ja'far (Imam al-Baqir), peace be on him: Imam Muhammad AI-Baqir said: "Stay close to the ground. Don't move an arm or a leg until you see the signs which I will mention to you - I don't think that you will live until that time. The `Abbasids will dispute; a voice will call from the sky; one of the villages of Syria called al-Jabiyya will be swallowed up; the Turks will occupy the region of al-Jazua; the Byzantines will attack al-Ramla; at that time there will be much conflict throughout the land until Syria is destroyed. The cause of its destruction will be the meeting of three standards there: the standard of the Red, the standard of the Spotted and the standard of the Sufyani." Ali b. Abi Hamza (reported) on the authority of Abu al-Hasan Musa, peace be on him: Concerning the words of Him, the Mighty and High: "We will show them our signs on the horizons and in themselves so that it will become clear to them that it is the truth (XLI 53). (Musa) said: "There will be a disturbance on the horizons and the enemies of truth will be changed in form." Wahb b. (Abi) Hafs (reported) on the authority of Abu Bajr, who said: I (Abu Basir) heard Abu Ja'far (Imam al-Baqir) speak concerning the words of Him, the Exalted: "If We wish, We will send down on ahem signs from the sky, and their necks will remain bent submissively to them (XXVI d)" He said: "God will do that to them." "Who are they?" I asked. "The Umayyads and their supporters," he answered. "What is the sign?" I asked. "Between the decline of the sun (at noon) and the time of the afternoon prayer, the sun will remain still," he said. "The chest and face of man will appear in the centre of the sun, who will be recognized by his standing and genealogy. That will occur in the time of the Sufyani. At that moment his destruction will occur and the destruction of his people." Abd Allah b. Bukayr (reported) on the authority of Abd alMalik b. Isma'il, on the authority of his father, on the authority of Said b. Jubayr: Sa'id b. Jubayr, said: "In the year in which the Mahdi will rise, twenty rain storms will rain on the earth. You will see their effects and benefits." Al-Fadl b. Shadhan (reported) on the authority of Ahmad b. Muhammad b. Abi Nasr, on the authority of Tha'laba al-Azdi, who said: Abu Ja'far (al-Baqir), peace be on him, said: "Two signs will come before the one who will arise (al-Qa'im), peace be on him: there will be an eclipse of the sun in the middle of the month of Ramadan and an eclipse of the moon at the end of it." "Son of the Apostle of God," I said, "usually the eclipse of the sun occurs at the end of the month and the eclipse of the moon occurs in the middle of it?" "I know what I have said," replied Abu Ja'far (Imam al-Baqir), peace be on him. "They are signs which have not occurred since Adam came down." Tha'laba b. Maymun (reported) on the authority of Shu'ayb alHaddad, on the authority of Salih b. Maytham, who said: I (i.e. Salih b. Maytham) heard Abu Ja`far (al-Baqir), peace. be on him, say: "There is no longer than fifteen nights between the appearance of the one who will rise (al-qaim), peace be on him, and the killing of the pure soul (al-nafs al-zakiyya)." Amr b Shamir (reported) on the authority of Jabir (al-Ju'fi), who said: I (i.e. Jabir al-Ju'fi) said to Abu Ja'far (Imam al-Baqir), peace be on him: "When will this event occur?" "Jabir, that will occur at a time when the killing between al-Hira and Kufa is considerable," he replied. Muhammad b. Sinan (reported) on the authority of al-Husayn b. al-Mukhtar, on the authority of Abu Abd Allah (Imam Ja'far al-Sadiq),peace be on him: (Imam Ja'far al-Sadiq) said: "When the wall of the mosque of Kufa, which adjoins the house of `Abd Allah b. Mas'ud is destroyed, then at that time the ruler of the people will disappear. At his disappearance, the one who will rise (al-qa'im), peace be on him, will come forth." Sayf b. Umayra (reported) on the authority of Bakr b. Muhammad, on the authority of Abu Abd Allah (Imam Ja'far al-Sadiq), peace be on him: (Imam Ja`far al-Sadiq) said: "There will be three appearances in one year, one month and one day - the Sufyani, the Khurasani and the Yamini. The standard of guidance will not be among them, except the standard of the Yamani, because he will summon (people) to the truth." Al-Fadl b. Shadhan (reported) on the authority of Ahmad b. Muhammad b. Abi Nasr, on the authority of Abu al-Hasan al-Ridha, peace be on him: Al-Ridha said: "What you stretch your necks for will not occur until you are able to discern and to be tested. Only a few of you will remain." Then he recited: Alif Lam. Do the people consider that they can abandon saying "We believe whenever they are tempted? (XXIX, 1-2). He said: "Among the signs of the relief is an event which will occur between the two mosques (of Mecca and Medina). So-and-so from the descendants of so-and-so will kill fifteen leaders of the Arabs." Al-Fadl b. Shadhan (reported) on the authority of Mu'ammar b. Khallad on the authority of Abu al-Hasan (al-Rida), peace be on him: Al-Ridha said: "It is as if I see standards, dyed green, coming from Egypt until they come to the Syrian (standards). Then they will be guided to the descendant of the one who gave the testamentary bequests of authority (to the Imams)." Hammed b. Isa reported on the authority of Ibrahim b. `Umar al-Yamani on the authority of Abu Basil, on the authority Imam Ja'far al-Sadiq, peace be on him: Imam Jafar al-Sadiq said: "The kingdom of these men will not disappear until they slaughter people in Kufa on Friday. It is as if I was looking at heads falling between the Gate of al-1711 and (the place of) the soap-sellers." Ali b. Asbat reported on the authority of Abu al-Hasan b. al-Jahm, who said: A man asked Abu al-Hasan (Imam Musa Al-Kazim), peace be on him, about the relief. He asked: "Do you want most of it or shall I give you a summary?" "Would you give me a summary?" he said. "It will be when the standards of Qays are carried in Egypt and the standards of Kinda in Khurasan," he replied. AI-Husayn b. Abi Ali reported on the authority of Abu Basir, on the authority of Imam Ja'far al-Sadiq, peace be on him: Imam Ja`far al-Sadiq said: "Because of the sons of so-and-so there will be a battle at your mosque - meaning the mosque of Kufa. On one Friday four thousand will be killed between the Gate of al-Fil to (the place of) the soap-sellers. Beware of this street. Avoid it. Those who are in the best situation will take the street of the Ansar." Ali b. Abi Hamza (reported) on the authority of Abu Basir, on the authority of Imam Ja'far al-Sadiq, peace be on him: Imam Ja`far al-Sadiq said: "Before (the coming of) the one who will rise (al-Qa'im), peace be on him, there will be a year of abundant rain in which the fruits and the dates on the palms will be destroyed. But don't complain of that." Ibrahim b. Muhammad (reported) on the authority of Ja'far b. Sa'd, on the authority of his father, on the authority of Imam Ja'far al-Ssdiq, peace be on him: Imam Ja'far al-Sadiq said: "In the year of the Conquest (by the Mahdi) the Euphrates will flood so that the water goes into the alleys of Kufa." It is reported in the account (Hadith) of Muhammad b. Muslim, who said: I (i.e. Muhammad b. Muslim) heard Imam Ja'far al-Sadiq, peace be on him, say: "Before (the coming) of the one who will rise (al-qa'im) there will be a trial from God." "May I be your ransom, what is that?" I asked him. He recited: "Let Us test you with fear, with hunger, and with lack of money, of lives and of harvests. Good news will come to those who are steadfast (11155)." Then he said: "The fear will be from the kings of the Banu so-and-so; the hunger will be as a result of exorbitant prices; the lack of money will be due to the failure of trade and the scarcity of surplus (goods) in it; the lack of lives will be because of swift death; the lack of harvest will be due to the great rains and the little benefit they bring to the crops." Then he continued: "The good news for those who are steadfast is that the one who will rise (al-qa'im) will soon come forth." AI-Husayn b. Sai'd reported on the authority of Mundhir Al-Jawzi, on the authority of Imam Ja'far al-Sadiq, peace be on him: Mundhir al-Jawzi said: I heard Imam Ja'far al-Sadiq say: "Before the coming of the one who will rise (al-qa'im), peace be on him, the people will be chided for their acts of disobedience by a fire which will appear in the sky and a redness which will cover the sky. It will swallow up Baghdad, it will swallow up Kufa. There blood will be shed and houses destroyed. Death (fans) will occur amid their people and a fear will come over the people of Iraq from which they shall have no rest."
18. The Messianic Leader, Mahdi, in Other Religions
Engineer Madani: Is belief in the promised Mahdi confined to the followers of Islam, or does it exist in other religions too? Mr. Hoshyar: In fact, this belief is not limited to the Muslims alone. In almost all religions and heavenly creeds one can find a similar belief in the future savior. The followers of these religions believe that there will come a time when the world will become corrupt and engulfed in a crisis. Evil and injustice will become the rule of the day. Disbelief will cover the entire world. At that time, the universal savior of the world will appear. With remarkable divine help he will restore the purity of faith and defeat materialism with the help of divine worship. Not only are the tidings to be found in revealed books like the Zand and Pazand, and Jamaspname of the Zoroastrians, the Torah and other Biblical books of the Jews, and the Gospel of the Christians, such information can also be seen, more or less, among the Brahmins and the Buddhists. The followers of all religions and traditions maintain such a belief and are awaiting the appearance of such a commanding figure under the divine protection. Each tradition recognizes this figure with a different name and specific title. The Zoroastrians call him Saoshyant (meaning the 'savior of the world'); the Jews know him as the messiah, whereas the Christians regard him as the Savior Messiah. However, each group believes that this divinely ordained savior will be among them. The Zoroastrians believe he is Persian and among the followers of Zoroaster. The Jews maintain that he will be among the Children of Israel, and the follower of Moses. The Christians think he will be one among them. Muslims believe that he will be among the Hashimites and among the direct descendants of the Prophet. In Islam he has been fully introduced, whereas in other religions this is not so. It is remarkable that all the characteristics and signs mentioned for this universal savior in other religions are applicable to the promised Mahdi, the son of Imam Hasan 'Askari. It is possible to regard him as Iranian in race because among his ancestors is the mother of the fourth Imam Zayn al-'Abidin who, as the daughter of Yazdgard, the Sassanian king, was a Persian princess. He can also be considered among the Children of Israel, since both the Hashimites and the Israelites are among the descendants of Abraham. The Hashimites are the descendants of Isma'il (Ishmael) and the Israelites are the descendants of Ishaq (Isaac). Hence, the Hashimites and the Israelites are one family. He is also connected to Christians because, according to some traditions, the mother of the present Imam was a Byzantine princess by the name of Narjis (Nargis), who is part of the miraculous story reported in some sources. It is not appropriate to confine the deliverer of the world, the Mahdi, to one particular nation. He will actually come to fight against all discriminatory claims of racial, creedal and national distinction. Consequently, he should be regarded as the Mahdi of the whole of humanity. He is the savior and deliverer of the people who worship God. His victory is the victory of all the prophets and all the righteous ones on earth. He will be restoring the religion of Abraham, Moses, Jesus and all of the heavenly revelations, namely, Islam; he will revive the pure religion of Moses and Jesus which had foretold the prophethood of Muhammad. Let us be clear that we have no intention of proving the existence of the promised Mahdi by referring to the ancient books, nor are we in need of doing so. Our intention is to demonstrate that the belief in the appearance of the unique savior of the world is a common religious belief, stemming from divine revelation, of which all prophets gave glad tidings. All nations are awaiting his emergence, but they have made errors in identifying him.
19. Imam Mahdi’s (a.s.) Plan after Reappearance
Ever since man has inhabited the earth, he has had the wish to lead a social life filled with happiness in its true sense and has striven towards this end. If such a wish were not to have an objective existence it would never have been imprinted upon man's inner nature, in the same way that if there were no food there would have been no hunger Therefore, by reason of inner necessity and determination, the future will see a day when human society will be replete with justice and when all will live in peace and tranquility, when human-beings will be fully possessed of virtue and perfection. The establishment of such a condition will occur through human hands but with Divine succor. And the leader of such a society, who will be the saviour of mankind is none other than MAHDI. Now let us see what will be the situation during the time of reappearance of Hazrat Mahdi (A.S.) and what would be his Government. The answer to this can be found in the Holy Quran where in Sura Noor Ayat No. 55 it says. "Allah has promised to those of you who believe and do good that He will most certainly make them rulers in the earth as He made rulers those before them, and that He will most certainly, after their fear, give them security in exchange; they shall serve Me, not associating aught with Me." With regard to this verse Abu Baseer quotes Imam Sadeq (A.S.) as saying that this verse has been revealed about the Qaem and his companions. The conclusion which can be derived from the above verse is that
Firstly : Universal Islamic Government will be Established: From the clear-cut promises of the Holy Quran and authentic traditions of Masoomeen (A.S.) it is well known that at the time of reaperance of Hujjat of Allah all the Governments of the world will collapse, there will not remain any regime on earth and the whole world will be changed to one country, one people, one Government, one slogan, one flag and one constitution. And that Government is the right of Hazrat Baqiyattullah with the Flag of" with the slogan of Establishing a Universal Islamic Government is one of the characteristics of Qiyam of Mahdi (A.S.) Imam Baqer (A.S.) said : "When the Qaem will do Qiyam, the false Governments will be destroyed." In another tradition he says, "His Government will spread to East and West. Again Imam Baqer (A.S.) in interpreting this verse has said : "Those who should We establish them in the land, will keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate and enjoin good and forbid evil; and Allah's is the end of affairs." "This verse refers to the Government of Mahdi. Allah will make him and his followers dominant on the earth from East to West and they will manifest the religion of Allah and through him and his followers he will destroy the innovations just as ignorant people had destroyed the truth until there is no sign of oppression left. They will invite the people towards piety and forbid them from the evils and to Allah belongs the end of affairs."
Secondly : Islam will become The Universal religion: Amongst the various aims, the main aim of the Government of Hazrat Baqiyatullah is to put an end to atheism and polytheism and uplift the school of Tauheed. The Holy Quran has promised that a day will come when the holy rules of Islam will prevail over all the religions and will be the only religion left. "He it is who sent His Prophet with the guidance and the true religion that He may make it overcome the religions, all of them." (Sura Saff; Ayat 9) In this verse which has been exactly repeated in three different chapters (Sura Tauba, 33, Sura Fath, 28 and Sura Saff, 9), the aim of Prophets appointment i.e. victory of the true religion over all the false religion of the world has been introduced. With regard to this verse Ali (A.S.) has said : "Has this verse been fulfilled ? No never, In fact there should remain no house on the earth except that house from which the cry of "There is no God but Allah" Imam Sadeq (A.S.) too interpreting this verse says: "This verse will not be fulfilled till the Qaem rises. When the Qaem will rise no disbelievers in Allah and polytheist in Imamat of Imam will remain on the earth ... ... ... If a disbeliever enters inside the stomach of a stone, that stone will cry out 'O believers, inside me there is a disbeliever, break me so that you can kill him.' Thus we see that the promise of Allah that the true religion of Islam will prevail over all the religions will be fulfilled in the near future by the hands of Hazrat Vali-Asr (A.S.). Again the 6th Imam while interpreting the above verse said : 'O Muffazal ! By Allah all the religions will be destroyed, there will no longer remain any difference in opinions and views and Islam will prevail as Allah Taala said : (AL-Mohajjah Page 227) The Holy Prophet (S.A.W.) too has said : "There will remain no part of the Earth where the Islamic slogan will not be heard." (Ref. : Muntakhab-ul-Athar, 293/3).
Thirdly : Another important aim of the Government of Hazrat Baqiyatallah (A.S.) will be to put an end to injustice and oppression and to spread social justice in every corner of the world.: From the view-point of Quran one of the aims of sending the prophets is the setting up of social justice amongst the human-being. 'Certainly We sent Our apostles with clear signs and proofs and sent down with them the Book and the balance that men may conduct themselves with justice." (Sura Hadeed; Ayat 25) This verse speaks about the aim of sending the Prophets and the Book and the balance as establishing justice on the earth. But has Justice been established over the earth till today ? The Holy Prophet and the Infallible Imams in hundreds of traditions have declared the day of its fulfillment on the day of advent of Hazrat Baqiyatullah (A.S.). In one traditions with regard to the advent of Hazrat Mahdi (A.S.) has been said by one of Masoomeen (A.S.) : "He will clean the Earth from every oppression and injustice. " (Ref. : "Kamaluddin Pg. 336) At that time when the world will be full of Justice many after-effects will be manifested such as
(A) Equal Distribution of wealth The injustices prevalent in our times is not due to deficiency in wealth but due to its unjust distribution. However during the time of Hazrat Baqiyatullah wealth will be equally distributed as explained by Masoom (A.S.) "When Our Qaem of Ahle Bait will reappear, he will distribute wealth equally and will establish Justice amongst the people."
(B) Free From want: Under the auspices Universal Government of Hazrat Baqiyatullah (A.S.) every one will be free from want and no one will be found on this earth who will accept charity and Zakat from a person. "A day will come when one will carry gold (coins) to give in charity in the way of Allah (but) no one will be found to accept it. Ref. Sahih Bukhari Vol 2 Pg. 136.
(C) Universal Security : During the glorious days of Hazrat Mahdi (A.S.) the right of every owner will be given to him; everyone will enjoy from the unlimited bounties of Allah; there will remain no reason for jealousy, grudge and hatred and finally peace and tranquility will engulf the whole world. Imam (A.S.) Says : "Hatred will be wiped off from the hearts of all creatures, the wild and ferocious animals will live in peace together with other quadruped animals together in harmony; a woman with a tray on her head will travel alone from Iraq to Syria; every place will be refreshing and greenly and no animal will give trouble to her and she will not fear and panic." "O Allah if death comes in between Him (Imam Mahdi) and me, which you made compulsory) then took me out from the grave, while Kafan will be there on my body, sword will be there on my hand, and I will say Labeek on his call" Sentence from: "Dua-e- Ahad"
20. The Concept of Messiah in Islam
Imam al-Mahdi (a.s) was born on the 15th Sha’ban 255 A.H. in Samarra, Iraq. He became the Imam when his father was Martyred in 260 A.H. Imam al-Mahdi (a.s) was only 5 years old when he went into ‘ghaibat’ (concealment). The Imam’s ghaibat was divided into two periods: Ghaibat-us-Sughra and Ghaibat-ul-Kubra.
Ghaibat-us-Sughra Ghaibat-us-Sughra means ‘the minor concealment.’ Its period was about 70 years. It began in 260 A.H. when Imam al-Mahdi (a.s) first went into concealment, and ended in 328 A.H. During Ghaibut-us-Sughra, the Imam appointed some agents to represent him and the people. The Imam had four agents. After the death of the fourth agent, the Imam went into major concealment (Ghaibut-ul-Kubra). This was on the 10th Shawal 329 A.H.
The Signs Heralding the Reappearance of Imam al-Mahdi (a.s) Prophet Muhammed (s.a.w.) has said: "Even if the entire duration of the world’s existence has already been exhausted and only one day is left before Doomsday, Allah will expand that day to such length of time as to accommodate the kingdom of a person from my Ahlul-Bayt who will be called by name. He will fill out the earth with and justice as it will have been full of injustice and tyranny (by then)" From this Hadith, it is clear to every Muslim that the twelfth Imam will reappear when this world is full of sins and injustice. There are many signs mentioned by the Masumeen (a.s) on the reappearance of the 12th Imam. It is reported in Biharul Anwar that after the last pilgrimage the Prophet made, the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.) stood near the Kaaba, and called his people to listen to him. The Prophet said: “listen to me carefully so that you transmit these words of mine to those who are absent today.” The Prophet began, “My people, a time will come when kings and rulers will be tyrannical.” The Prophet also said that the payment of Zakat will be stopped. According to the Masumeen (a.s), Muslim countries will seek aid from non Muslim countries. This is already evident in a number of Muslim countries. Another prediction that is come true is that 60 impostors will claim to be Prophets. By their attractiveness, their persuasion, and their personality, they will misguide the people. 58 false Prophets have already emerged since the days of the Prophet (s.a.w.). We have only two more to witness. It is reported in Qayamat-e-Sughra citing “Oqdatud-Durr” that Hazrat Amir (A.S) has said that the Mahdi will not appear until one-third of the world population will die by being killed and one-third will die as a result of epidemics.
The Last Signs Heralding the Appearance of Imam al-Mahdi (a.s) There is a Hadith from Imam Muhammed Baqir (a.s) that for three or seven consecutive days, one will see reddish yellow fire raging in the East. Sufiani will emerge in Palestine, where he will start a revolt in the month of Rajab. He will be an uncompassionate rebel and his rule will last for eight consecutive months. He will conquer and rule Egypt for four consecutive months. Sufiani will conquer Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco, Jordan, and Syria. Sufiani has been specifically described by Aimma A.S. as an ugly, blistered, green-eyed, cross-eyed person who will be an enemy of the friends of the Ahlul-Bait. Imam Ali (a.s) has said that Sufiani’s hatred of the devotees of the Ahlul-Bait will be such that any person named Ali, Fatema, Hassan, Hussein, Zainab, Ruquaiya will be arrested and beheaded straight away without further investigations. Sufiani will rip the Mimber of the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.). The holy house of the Prophet which contains his grave will be pulled and used as a stable. Horses will be tied in that Holy place. Sufiani will then decide to attack Makka. His purpose would be to demolish the Holy Kaaba and kill the entire population of Makka. Sufiani’s army will set out via Baghdad but, as Allah would have it, when they get between Medina and Makka, in the desert of Baida, suddenly one night they will hear a voice from the sky which will say, “O Baida eat up the entire army of Sufiani.” It is said that the entire army numbering 100,000 persons will be swallowed up by the earth, except for two. The two who will be spared will suddenly encounter an angel. He will slap both of them turning their faces right round, looking behind instead of front. And that will be the time when Imam al-Mahdi (a.s) will already have reappeared in Makka. The Imam will establish his authority in the Holy Mosque at Makka in the Haram. The angel will then order one of them calling him Bashir. “O Bashir, go straight to Makka, into the Haram and inform the Imam that Sufiani’s army has been swallowed up by the land. The other called Nazir will be ordered to go to Sufiani and tell him that the Imam has already appeared. He should proceed straight to Makka and declare allegiance to him. Sufiani will prepare to attack the Imam but will not have enough courage. The Imam will catch Sufiani in Jerusalem and will kill him. Imam Ali (a.s) has said that nine definite signs will precede the emergence of Hazrat Mahdi (a.s). These nine signs are: Dajaal will emerge. A loud voice will be heard from the sky. Sufiani will appear and wage a fierce war. The army of Sufiani will be swallowed by a sudden opening of the land between Makka and Medina in the desert of Baida. A revered wise saint will be murdered in Makka. (This saint is to be a Hashimite descent.) A Seyyid descendant of Imam Hassan (a.s) will emerge with his army. The army of Seyyid-e-Hassan and an image of a man will appear in the sky opposite the sun. There will be two eclipses in the holy month of Ramadhan contrary to the normal order and calculation and the eclipse of the moon. On three occasions a loud voice from the sky will be heard in the holy month of Ramadhan.
The Reappearance Hazrat Isa, Hazrat Khizr, Hazrat Ilias, and Hazrat Idris (a.s) will give allegiance to the Imam when he reapers. Also Jibrael will announce 313 companions of the Imam. These 313 companions will be people of eminent piety, great knowledge and absolutely steadfast in their determination and faith towards the Imam. Another 1000 people will be in the army of the Imam. These people will fight battles and kill enemies like Dajal, who will appear from India. Dajal will have the musical tunes with him. Then the Imam will lead the prayers, Hazrat Isa (a.s) will be behind him. Lets all pray for the reappearance of Imam al-Mahdi (a.s).
21. Quotes of Imam Mahdi (a.s.)
Text Style throughout this article: Quote, Author, Reference
I am the Mahdi. I am the Qa'im of the time... Imam Mahdi (A.S.) Bihar V.52 p.2 I am the one who will fill it (the earth with justice as it ... Imam Mahdi (A.S.) Bihar, V.52, p.2 I am the reminder of Allah in His earth... Imam Mahdi (A.S.) Bihar, V.52, p 24 I am the avenger from His enemies... Imam Mahdi (A.S.) Bihar, v.52, p.24 And through me shall Allah, the Mighty and Glorious, drive a... Imam Mahdi (A.S.) Bihar, V,52, P.30 Surely, I am indeed the (cause of) security for the inhabita... Imam Mahdi (A.S.) Bihar, V 53 p181 When Allah permits us to speak, truth will prevail and false... Imam Mahdi (A.S.) Bihar, V.53, p 196 Invoke more for the hastening of the re-appearance, for sure... Imam Mahdi (A.S.) Bihar As for deriving benefit from me in my occultation is like de... Imam Mahdi (A.S.) Bihar, V.53, p 181 If any incident occurs (now) then refer for it to the narrat... Imam Mahdi (A.S.) Bihar, V. 53, p 181 For surely our knowledge encompasses information about you a... Imam Mahdi (A.S.) Bihar, V. 53, p 175 Surely, we do not neglect your conditions nor are we forgetf... Imam Mahdi (A.S.) Bihar, V. 53, p 175 Then each one of you should do those deeds which bring you c... Imam Mahdi (A.S.) Bihar, V. 53, p 176 And you must refrain from (all such acts) which make you nea... Imam Mahdi (A.S.) Bihar 53/176 As for your wealth, we shall not accept it except that it sh... Imam Mahdi (A.S.) Bihar, V 53 p 180 Allah’s, the Mighty and the Glorious, Destinies are not over... Imam Mahdi (A.S.) Bihar 53/191 Surely Allah the Almighty, did not create the creatures in v... Imam Mahdi (A.S.) Bihar V 53/194 Surely, the earth can never be void of a divine proof, wheth... Imam Mahdi (A.S.) Bihar 53/91 Nothing is better than namaz to make shaitan bite the dust, ... Imam Mahdi (A.S.) Bihar 53/182 I seek refuge in Allah from blindness after vision... Imam Mahdi (A.S.) Bihar 53/191 If you seek guidance you will be guided and if you search, y... Imam Mahdi (A.S.) Kamaluddin Vol 2. P 502 Then do not ask questions which do not hold any meaning for ... Imam Mahdi (A.S.) Bihar,V53 p181 Our hearts are the vessels of Allah’s intentions". Then... Imam Mahdi (A.S.) Bihar V. 52/ p 51 If our Shias (May Allah give them opportunity of obedience) ... Imam Mahdi (A.S.) Montazar.net Pray for early reappearance as it would be a means to make you free from hardships. -Imam Mahdi (A.S.)
Imam Al-Mahdi, The Just Leader of Humanity By:Ayatollah Ibrahim Amini